By the time Robert Reese Neyland graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, in 1916, he had made a name for himself in three sports.

As a lineman for the football team, he helped the Black Knights win the Army-Navy games from 1914 to 1916.

As a baseball pitcher for the Black Knights, he authored a 35-5 record. In 1914, he fired the first no-hitter in Army history when he blanked Colgate.

Robert Reese Neyland wears his baseball uniform during his time as a cadet with the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., 1912 to 1916. (U.S. Army)

In boxing, he was an undefeated, heavyweight boxing champion for his final three years at the academy.

Neyland also found time for academics, graduating near the top of his class.

Several professional baseball teams, including the New York Giants, tried to lure Neyland to their teams with big-money offers, but he decided to stay in the Army where he was deployed to Texas as an Army Corps of Engineers officer and helped erect levees along the Rio Grande River.

Neyland then served as an engineer in France during World War I.

In 1921, he returned to West Point as an aide to Army Brig. Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then the academy’s superintendent. While there, he also assisted in coaching football, baseball and boxing.

In 1925, Neyland became the head football coach at the University of Tennessee while continuing his military duties as an ROTC instructor.

Neyland’s coaching career was disrupted twice — when he was recalled to active duty in 1934 and deployed to Panama and again in May 1941 just before the start of World War II.

Robert Reese Neyland poses for a photo during his time at the U.S. Military Academy when he served as an aide to Army Brig. Gen. Douglas MacArthur, who was the academy’s superintendent, West Point, N.Y., 1921. (U.S. Army)

In 1942, Neyland was appointed head coach of the Eastern All-Army team that took on National Football League clubs to raise money for the Army Emergency Relief fund. The team played three games, defeating the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers before losing to the defending NFL champion Chicago Bears.

Neyland then served in China, Burma and India, supervising the transport of Allied war supplies across the Himalayan Mountains. He left the Army as a brigadier general in 1946.

In 1946, Neyland resumed coaching at UT, where he earned the nickname “the General.”

In 1952, he quit his job as coach and became the UT athletic director for a decade. During that time, he helped to design UT’s stadium.

During his legendary coaching career in Knoxville, Tennessee, he compiled an overall record of 173-31-12, winning four national championships and seven conference titles.

Neyland died in 1962. Today, the University of Tennessee football stadium is named in his honor and there’s also a statue of him there.

Want to Learn More About Military Life?

Whether you’re thinking of joining the military, looking for post-military careers or keeping up with military life and benefits, has you covered. Subscribe to to have military news, updates and resources delivered directly to your inbox.

Show Full Article

© Copyright 2020 DoD News, Defense Media Activity. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.